SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ace_des_travelbug

Help us make this a sweet Master Suite and home!

ace_des_travelbug
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We currently live in an open floor plan ranch. DH thought it was a forever home, I knew better ;) Then came baby, and house isn't matching up to our lifestyle, nor is the location. We're planning on building a home that works for us in the long run in a town in Central Illinois.

What we like about the plan:

• Craftsman style
  • If feels open, but is closer to a 2 story (we were shooting for a 1.5 story), giving us more space than we had hoped for! The LR and hallway are 2 story spaces.
  • Great indoor/outdoor living feel
  • Has all DH's requirements, Common spaces + Master+ Den on 1st floor (play room now, but will be great space for older children/teenagers, homework,
  • Attached garage
  • Loft to second floor to keep an "eye" on kids as they grow
  • The current footprint is small, and will fit great on the lot at 50'x57'. (the lot is narrow, but long.) I don't want to go bigger, but bumping out a couple feet somewhere that makes the space more workable, is doable.

What we don't like/need tweaking:

• Master closet is cramped. We sold our BR furniture, and don't plan on using furniture, but prefer to use the closet.
  • We'd like an alternative entry/exit to the back of the master suite. This will allow one person to wake up and get ready and not come back through the bedroom.
  • Separate mudroom from laundry room. I want enough room to sit down, take off shoes, and create a home zone. Backpacks, calendars, mail, shoes, jackets, etc.
  • I'm not sure if the patio left of the foyer works or is worth it, but I love that it allows such an indoor/outdoor space. Tough choice. For the right layout, I'd be willing to part with it.
  • We need a door to the basement

Can you take a look and tell me your thoughts? I've included just the 1st floor here.

Comments (12)