SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arielleeve

Laundry Centers / Stackable Washer-Dryers

arielleeve
8 years ago

After purchasing our new coop apartment, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised to learn that we are allowed a washer/dryer in our unit (a huge rarity in NYC, so we were pretty excited). The only place to put one is in the kitchen, which actually does have venting because the previous owners installed an old vented gas dryer many years ago and somehow were permitted to put a hole into the side of the building. Since the kitchen is a small galley kitchen, we planned on putting under-counter units in. Unfortunately, the only compact, counter-height dryers on the market right now are electric, and after consulting with our contractor and an electrician we learned that our apartment cannot support an electric dryer on its current ampage, and to add a new electric line so that it could would be thousands of dollars of electric work (and potentially not approved by the coop board). So since we have to have a gas dryer, sadly, my dreams of a sleek, compact, under-counter unit went out the window. We now realize that our only option is to put in a stacking laundry center (that or a regular sized washer and gas dryer, but the size is much greater than a laundry center so we ruled it out).

In any case, that's a lot of backstory to get to my main question, which is if anyone on here has any advice on picking a stackable laundry center. There aren't many reviews online. So far it seems the options are GE Spacemaker, Whirlpool Thin Twin, and Kenmore. Those are the only 24" wide models; there are some others that are 27", but in our tiny kitchen those 3" will make a big difference. I can't seem to find a big difference between the aforementioned brands, all seem to have very mixed reviews and look almost identical. I'm leaning towards the GE because it has slightly bigger capacity in both the washer and dryer, while being the same dimensions (just a few inches taller, which doesn't bother me).

Anyone been in the position of having to pick one of these, and have any advice on making a selection?

Comments (3)