SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Which shower door for Granny's new shower?

bpath
8 years ago

I'm usually on other GW forums, but here's a bathroom query: DMIL is replacing her tub with a shower. She says she can't do "roll-in" because of the condo construction, but she will have as low a sill as possible. Not in a wheelchair, but does use a shower chair to bathe. She's debating the kind of shower door to have: slider, or swing out. Which is more elderly-friendly?

The swing out seems safer should she fall in the shower, but you have to pull it open, and push it out from the inside. If it's heavy, can that cause you to fall? It seems to me that the frameless glass shower door in the condo building guest suite is heavier than our framed glass shower door at home; does frameless mean the glass has to be thicker?

A slider is nice because it's never in the way, but is the motion difficult? What if you fall, is it hard to open from the floor?

If she does a tiled wall, or even a pony wall, for the front of the shower (beside the commode), can she still do a slider? At home we have a wall and the controls are on that side wall, with the sprayer on the end in the normal place. I like it.

I'm recommending that she include grab bars near the door for balance as she steps in; my parents are going to do that, too, in the recommendation of their OT. I'm also recommending niches for the soap etc, not shelves where she could hit her head.

What do you think? Slider, or swing-out door?

Comments (5)