SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_crumley33

Lemon tree fading fast

Bruce
8 years ago

Greetings to all. I am wondering if some kind and experienced gardening soul might help me with a problem I've encountered with a potted lemon tree that rather suddenly began losing its leaves, with most of the bare branches then turning what appears to be deathly brown.

I've read up on other forums about possible causes, but have exhausted the more/less water/minerals/pH options, and am now down to prostate supplication for a miracle!

Details are: grown from seed over a decade ago, and has been in a pot on my terrace in Paris ever since. It has done well in the summer months -- albeit without breaking any growth records -- and survives winter like a trooper. No fruit on it -- I haven't grafted it; it's a non-producing chum... -- and it gets regular watering with fast drainage from the bottom.

About four weeks ago, it started dropping leaves. Per photos, some remain large and green before falling, while others turn pale yellow; some get brownish spots; other look to dry out before falling. No change in weather, watering or soil composition, and there appears to be neither rot or parasite on the trunk, branches or visible roots. Given the static conditions I'd have suspected perhaps some airborne malady, but a second seed-grown bush is thriving right next to it.

It's gotten the usual fertilizing -- though not since it's fallen ill -- and we try to add new ground every now and again to ensure ambient nutrition from that. The only unusual event was an attempted graft of a branch I brought back from one of my parents' lemon plants in San Francisco -- a miserably failed attempt on both of my bushes, with the various slices made already grown-over.

In other words, I have no idea at all what the culprit might be, and now reach out to far wiser and more experienced gardeners for what I hope will be life-saving tips for my lemony chum.

Thanks in advance for any and all input and time spent reading and reflecting on this.

Yours, in citrus-y paternal botany anguish,

Bruce

Comments (8)