SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_kennedy85

Lawn and garden plan Piedmont NC

Kate Kennedy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all, I am moving into a new house and want to start planning the yard now. Having read this forum a bit, I want to prevent a scolding by getting advice about initial steps BEFORE I do anything.

I am in Greensboro, NC. Lot is a little over a third of an acre, with side and rear yard receiving quite a bit of shade from a few beautiful mature trees, including enormous willow oak, 2 pecan, sugar maple, and a few weird and weedy things that will eventually go.

The house has been empty for a while but was previously a boarding house. As such, the side lot has gravel and may have been a parking lot. We considered scraping it all up with machinery but don't want to damage roots of willow oak. Back yard is pretty hard and doesn't look that pretty when you turn over a shovel full...three blocks away in my old house I can turn over and find crumbly black soil with tons of worms and other life, this is dryer and nothing like that.

There was also a thick out of control hedge around the front and side yards, ingrown with a lot of poison ivy and weed pants, toward the back transitions to just weeds and brush, including weed wood with up to two and three inch stumps. Massive amount of English ivy, which had killed several trees. Our number one priority was clearing that so we could fence it all as we have 3 Jack Russells that need to be contained. Over the last 8 weeks we've cleared it all, gaining about 10 feet of lot at all edges of perimeter that is viny remains. Our method was to cut, then weedeat, then apply glyphosphate/triclopyr, wait then

mow over. Girdled all trees with ivy, some with bases larger than the actual tree trunk. Had a tree guy out who cut down 9 trees that didn't survive it. He also used stump grinder along perimeter to remove the stumpy hedge remains.

I believe:

That the ivy and some other invasive things might keep coming back for a while and it may be a priority to be sure they are eliminated before moving forward.

That I have shade, but get a little sunlight, especially in a few back patches and in the tiny front yard.

The ground might be sandy and compacted and may contain a lot of gravel in some part.

My three dogs make grass growing tough.

I want:

To not keep using a ton of chemicals, but not opposed to judicious use.

To have at least some grassy lawn, but also like garden area.

To not waste time and money by having a good strategy and realistic expectations from the beginning.

So...I think I should start with a soil test from Logan Labs. Is that right, and is there anything else? I will try to attach a couple of pics but it has been a constant work in progress so they don't show anything all that clearly.

Sorry for the long post, appreciate your help!

Comments (6)