SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Rum soaked dried pineapple . . .

l pinkmountain
8 years ago

One of my POOPs (Pull it Out Of the Pantry). I've had these dried pineapple slices sitting around for ages, wanted to use them up to free up the storage for something that moves faster, and I had some leftover rum a friend gave me for rum banana bread . . . So I chopped up the pineapple and soaked it in the spiced rum for about a week, then added it to some banana coconut muffins. What a revelation!! This might even inspire me to buy some more! I tried some of it in crockpot pork once but the flavor washed out. It was great in these baked goods after soaking. I little flavor burst! Next time I am going to ditch the recipe which included coconut and banana, and just add them to a rum muffin recipe. Or a plain banana one. Here's the one I used, in case anyone is curious. It is metric, from Australia. It is good but too much going on so the pineapple doesn't shine as much as it could. I'm always looking for variations on banana bread or muffins. Dad insists on buying a whole bunch for his morning smoothies, but if they get even one brown spot, he is done with them. I have tried to get him to buy just a few . . . but anyway, I always have a freezer full of frozen brown bananas. Too bad Sure-Jell put the kibosh on their banana jam recipe!

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/16761/banana-and-rum-muffins.aspx

Ingredients

Serves: 12

• 2 cups (250g) plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 125g butter (I have a kitchen scale and weighed it. It came out to 9 TBLSP but the last one was scant.
  • 1 cup (155g) brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 medium bananas
  • 1 tablespoon rum essence (I used the soaking rum)
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup diced dried pineapple

Preparation:15min ›
Cook:20min ›
Ready in:35min

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. (I used a 400 degree oven). Prepare 12 muffin cups with muffin cases.
  2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl cream together butter and
    sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing
    well after each addition then beat in the bananas and rum essence.
  4. Stir in the flour mixture. Fold in the grated coconut and pineapple mixing just enough to evenly distribute.
  5. Evenly divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
  6. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean; 20 to 25 minutes.

Comment