SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

Between-The-Studs Bathroom Cabinet.

vjrnts
8 years ago

I used to be a frequent participant on this forum, but as our house has gotten (close) to where we want it to be, I've kind of drifted away. But now I'm back!

I would like to redo our upstairs bath which has the original hex tile floor, the original cast iron apron-style tub, and the original marble-walled shower. The toilet has been replaced, and the old wall-hung (I think) sink was replaced with an awful cheap vanity with a cream formica top and a powder blue lavatory bowl. The medicine cabinet has been replaced with a mirror that swings open (I'm pretty sure the old one was framed in the style found throughout the house.) Last and worst, the white subway tile has been removed, I believe all the plaster was removed and replaced with marine drywall, and cobalt blue, square tiles were put on the wall.

I would LOVE to take down that tile and put my white subway tile up again, but that's not on the table right now. I'm going to replace the vanity with a pedestal sink (maybe; I don't know what the floor looks like under there). We are going to lose nearly all of our in-bathroom storage when the vanity goes. I would like to get a carpenter to cut through the drywall (maybe it's still plaster) between two studs and build in a shallow closet for shelves. I would hope it would be deep enough to store an extra roll of toilet paper, some cleaning supplies, that kind of thing. We have a built-in linen closet in the hall outside the bathroom, so I can show the carpenter exactly what I'd like; it would blend in very nicely.

My question is: Is this doable? What do you think?

Comments (8)