SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smwheat

Question regarding clause in listing contract

smwheat
8 years ago

We're first time home sellers and are getting ready to sign with an agent. We're currently located overseas, our house is located in Maryland. The agent we're getting ready to sign with was managing our property. While we weren't really happy with his laid back approach, we're kind of stuck with him because the management contract includes an exclusive right to sell clause. However, that's a secondary issue.

The listing contract he sent us includes a clause that states "Seller acknowledges and agrees that settlement on the property shall not be a condition precedent to seller's obligation to broker as herein provided." This I interpret as: if there was a valid offer that ends up not closing , we will have to pay even if the circumstances were beyond our control.

As I understood it, Maryland law provides that you pay commission only upon actually closing. Has anyone come across this type of clause before? I did google sample Maryland listing contracts and didn't find anything.

I'm going to ask to have the clause removed but I just don't have a warm and fuzzy about the agent. We could buy him out of the exclusive right to sell but the distance makes it kind of hard to find another agent.

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

SMW

Comments (5)