SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kileyray

A Few Questions About Cost Plus Contracts

kileyray
16 years ago

We are at the end of our build and have a few issues with the builder. Things have become difficult as we don't see eye to eye on a few things. I was hoping that a few GC's could let me know if they have ever run across these issues and how they dealt with them. For the most part I made a call on the things that I would challenge and where I would let it go. However I guess I am just second guessing things and would like to know what others have done. Maybe this is a bad thing to do but I need some kinda closer. Either it's "damn that was a bonehead thing to do" or "I should have picked that battle"

The first issue is interest charges. Contract speaks of supplies etc. but is silent to interest. It wasn't a big amount but when reviewing the invoices I found that the contractor favored some subs and would pay their invoices immediately/quickly and hold off on others. This resulted in late charges which he billed us for. I felt that since we were paying him to manage the project this would include paying the bills as they are due.

Another issue was the phase payments. The contract stated set amounts based on GCs estimates that would be paid at each phase of the contract. We paid them promptly but had to wait for inspections and appraisals before the bank would release money. This usually only took a few days. Would it correct to expected that if the actual costs exceeded the estimated costs per phase that either the builder would cover the costs until the final payment or request further payment based on proof of costs like invoices?

The biggest issue is the hold back amounts. Legally in my province we have to hold back 10% until the lien holdback period is up. This is 55 days from the completion of the project. We took 10% off along the way (our bank did this to us as well) and the money went into a trust account with our notary. The GC told us that we could not hold any money back and challenged us on it. He gave us the final paperwork etc. for payment on Oct 19th and ordered a CO inspection for Oct 25th. We didn't get the CO permit but were given the OK to occupy. GC provided the warranty effective Oct 25th. We provided the final check less the 10% hold back on the 30th. It took a few days longer because the bank took a while to determine if the temp occupancy permit fulfilled their CO requirements before they would release our money. Notary advised that the money in trust would be released 55 days from Oct 25 which we advised our builder of. On Nov 2nd I came home to a letter from his lawyer on my counter. Builder has filed a lien and has indicated that the contract was completed on Sept 30 and the CO has no bearing on the 55 day lien period. He is threatening to sue us for the money. In reality by the time he sues me, the lien period will be up and the money will sit there until he removes the lien. I am curious if others have been in this situation and what their experiences are.

This build has been a learning curve for me and through my experiences and knowledge gained from this board I would do it much differently next time. However, it doesn't help me now. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!