SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellilou3

What kind of contract is this--fixed or cost plus?

We're in the middle of our build (siding being installed this week) and have been told that we're already over budget due to a couple of items: 1) Building permits were higher than expected-like $3,000 higher and 2) Soil was too soft and required them to dig deeper for the footing.

Here's the verbiage in our contract with regard to purchase price: Full purchase price of the above described contract for sale is $_price listed here_ payable by Owner to Builder in Construction Draws paid to Builder by Owner's Bank, throughout the construction process herein provided, in the form of draws agreed upon by the Owner, Owner's Bank, and Builder, of which the initial construction deposit shall apply as part. The only allowances listed are for things like flooring, cabinets, and plumbing fixtures.

Our contract mentions that the cost of "bringing the footing up to buildable level will be the cost of the Owner," so I'm fine with that (even though we weren't notified ahead of time and given the opportunity to respond in writing). But I don't think I should have to pay for the apparently unexpected cost of permits. Isn't that a basic part of bidding for a job? Nothing about our house plan changed, so isn't it the bulder's problem for not doing his homework before giving us a bid?

What do you think? Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Comments (4)