SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bille_gw

New to Adeniums...looking for a bit of advice and support

Bill
8 years ago

I'm pretty new at this Adenium stuff. Actually have been growing them....ahhhh, well, IT.....for almost a week now.

First, perhaps a bit about me. I'm an older geezer - I now live in the central part of SC. Retired from the US Navy many years ago, and now am fully retired after completing a second career in retail management.

I had my own small greenhouse and was growing orchids long before I retired from the Navy. I worked for a local orchid nursery on two different occasions after the Navy, and have never really ever gotten them out of my system.

I recently started tinkering with African Violets, but they're just another plant to grow right now.

I have always been fascinated with Adeniums, but was never willing to fork out the $$$ for a nice plant, and all the ones I usually saw for sale were on the discount rack someplace, two days from dead, and still priced more than I wanted to risk on a plant I really knew nothing about.

Last week all that changed. I was in a Lowes in Columbia, SC and they had a whole rolling (discount) rack of Adeniums. These plants really looked pretty good to me....rock solid, most with healthy leaves, All had been pruned, and had nice new sprouts, and a couple with a flower still hanging on. $5.00.....couldn't resist.

One of these plants had a brilliant red flower still hanging on...The darkest Adenium bloom I had ever seen...SOLD!

Here's the plan.....with photos to support it.

Here's the new addition to my plant collection. Of course I didn't get a photo of the bloom, it dropped off the day before this was taken....You should never think that I would be so lucky as to get a photo of the bloom on a plant I planned to show to the world.

On the right side of the plant, one leaf has what looks like a stain from water standing in it...Another has two brown spots, and a third had a broken tip that was brown that I took off. All in all I think the plant looks pretty good.

This photo, a bit more top down shows the cut stems a bit better. All the cut stems have at least one new sprout, leaves and what appears to be new growth.

No, no! this is not the pot I am going to use.....It was, but I found a clay pot that is just a tiny bit taller, and the same diameter at the top as this one. Aesthetically more better!

Here's the plan....I'm not planning to do anything to the top of the plant right now. I thought I would take it out of its pot, and see what the roots look like. I plan to raise the plant an inch or two, depending on what I find in the pot. There is one group of roots that shows in all three photos just at the soil line, so I thought I would take them off flush with the side of the caudex (thought I would practice some of my new vocabulary.....☺) so they would not be sitting out there In the air all alone. I will probably trim some of the smaller roots as necessary.

I have a potting mix of my own design that I plan to use...

1 part fine fir bark (screened from a box of orchid seedling mix that I have.

1 part Perlite

1 part builders sand

1 part commercial potting mix (peat base with some pine bark chips and slow release fertilizer)

Now, if some of you more experienced Adenium growers don't mind jumping in here and picking this plan apart, I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to learn this new "game", I've read until all the information has run together, and my eyes are glazed over, so am looking for a few outside opinions before I leap in here with knives and spades. I'm pretty thick skinned (Navy trained), so there's no real danger of hurting either of my two remaining feelings.

Thanks for any help, and I am looking forward to being seen hanging around in here quite a bit in the future, and getting to know some of you.

Bill

Comments (17)