SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doctorsteve

Advice on support for flowering vines

doctorsteve
16 years ago

This is a newbie question, so apologies if this is ground that has been covered a million times before. (I DID spend half an hour doing searches, honest!)

I just got a lovely new shed, and want to create a hummingbird/butterfly area on the side of it facing my deck. I'm thinking of making the "back wall" of this space out of flowering vines that hummingbirds and butterflies like (e.g., not-too-invasive varieties of honeysuckle, scarlet runner, cross vine, cardinal climber...I've been scared off of the Japanese honeysuckles, cypress creeper, and even trumpet creeper by posts about their invasiveness, and hummingbirds, at least, don't care much about clematis or morning glory).

Much as I'm straining at the bit to go out and buy and plant, I realize that decisions I make now about things like installing trellises will be with me for a long time, and so I need some advice....

A short summary of non-expert advice I've received:

Use metal. Wood rots, or needs to be painted, and you're too lazy to paint it.

Use wood. Metal rusts, or needs to be painted, and you're to lazy to paint it.

Use cedar or pressure-treated trellises. They don't rot or rust.

Don't use cedar or pressure-treated. They're ugly.

It doesn't matter if they're ugly. They'll be covered with vines.

Just use wires or even string.

Don't use wires or string -- some of these are perennials, and will outlast wire or strong.

Use poles.

Use 3" wire mesh with the plastic coating.

Don't put vines on your shed. They will eventually invade the shed itself, or its the shingles on the roof.

The things that you are talking about will take over your whole yard. Just plant clematis and hang hummingbird feeders.

Why are you planting flowers at all in an area you walk through? You're allergic to bees, moron! ;-)

On the more expert advice front (from the web), I know that there are vines that twine, vines that attach with tendrils, and vines that have suckers. (I assume it's mostly the latter that are a danger to buildings?) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to systematically hook this information up with the specifics of the vines I'm thinking about, or with the support options that would be recommended.

So I guess this is an open call for help on a lot of questions:

1) do the things I list (or others you might suggest for my goals) suggest a common support system? Or would I be better with a mixture of trellis/posts/wires? (The shed wall is about 8' wide and 8' high, though of course the roof is sloped.)

2) what support structures have you tried that you would never try again, and why? (I.e., mistakes that a newbie might easily stumble into and then regret later...)

3) is it a mistake to put vines on a trellis attached to a wall, as opposed to standing out, say, a foot from it?

Comments (10)