SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

I need advice on a screening vining plant

gamebird
14 years ago

In front of my house, I have a flower bed that has three wire trellis things. They're about six feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. They look kind of like this thing:

http://www.podington.co.uk/fencing-screening/metal-finial-trellis.html

I have planted mint in this flower bed and it is spreading like crazy. That was the plan, as the flower bed is surrounded by 20' of concrete on two sides, the house/porch on one, and 4' of concrete sidewalk on the last. I'm not sure the sidewalk will contain it, but it's a risk I thought I could take.

Anyway, I want something to screen the porch from the sun. The front door faces west and we have a semi-enclosed porch (enclosed on three sides with overhanging roof). The last side of the porch fronts on the aforementioned flower bed. So between the porch and the harsh rays of the afternoon sun is nothing... except these big trellises I put there with the intention of screening the porch.

Last year I tried to grow scarlet runner beans and morning glories, imagining these would be dense enough to provide some shade. Both displayed an odd growing habit of winding straight up the metal of the trellis without branching, then clumping up at the top. Not what I was hoping for.

So this spring, I'm looking at some wisteria and wondering if that would do the trick, or if there's something else that would work better. I don't want something that's going to be terribly top-heavy, because it will overburden the trellis. It has to be able to defend itself against rampant mint. I'd like something that flowers or fruits (edible). It shouldn't have thorns. It can be perennial or annual. It must be able to withstand full sun. It must not escape the top of the trellis and climb up the roof of the house (like, say, trumpet vine). The soil is average-ish on the poor side and seems to retain moisture well.

What you do suggest?

Comments (11)