SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phases

Loud noise/bang in spring water/pump/pressure tank setup

phases
8 years ago

Hi all. I'm not sure where the heck to ask about this, so why not try plumbing section on gardenweb. I guess this is considered plumbing but I assume it's sure not typical.

Background

So we bought this house nearly a year ago, and it has a natural spring on it. Rather cool, the water collects in a tank underground, 500 or so gallons, then overflow runs into a little koi pond then out the other end into drainage for the neighborhood.

Just above the underground tank is a "well" setup to cover the lid to the tank, and house a pump and provide electricity. This pump pushes water to water spigots throughout the property.

Under the house in the crawl is a pressure tank that helps with all this one way or another. I have a very basic understanding of how all this works but it is certainly not something I'm prepared to dig to deep with myself right now.

The setup I believe was put in when the house was built in the late 90s.

Problem

Today I was using one of the spigots outside, I do often, and after a couple minutes my wife came out and said there was a big bang under the house. So, turned off the water and went under to investigate. Everything looked fine.

So I had her go turn the water back on. I noticed inside this Honeywell PRESSURETROL box with a clear cover there what looks to be mercury, the little tube it is in was making a little noise while it was, I think, tilting more and more to the right, and it looked like I could see some little bubbling or something minor going on in the mercury. Sure enough after 15 or so seconds of it it popped back to the left, and a huge POP happened.. like... in the pipes underneath or something. Or in the tank. I don't really know. But, the water kept running fine.

I had her turn it off. Waited a minute, and on. Did it again, while trying to pinpoint where the bang was coming from. I can't really nail it down. But, the water continues to work fine.

Any ideas? Should I post a video? Here are some pictures.

The pipe the honeywell is attached to, is behind one running along side it. The one in front is the main house supply. the one it is on comes from the spring well tank I guess, down into the pressure thingy, then off to the right to the waterspigot on the house. I don't see how it can have a pipe come in but not come out, but I don't understand how these things work so that's okay. Maybe it does and I don't see it in the picture..

Any ideas? Is this something common with these sets that indicate maybe the a particular component is about to go?

Appreciate any insight.

Comments (10)