SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwolfejohnson

Grasstastrophe...Getting mixed advice on how to restart my lawn

L T
8 years ago

I just bought a flipped house in NE Wisconsin that's not been lived in for at least 18 months. There was an addition added, so my lawn is just a mess. The front lawn is thick, with tons of little white flowers all over. The side yard has gravel mixed in, and is mostly barren from the addition. The back is pretty much a solid variety of weeds (mostly the little white flowers) with the exception of the sump pump run off area is patchy at best. The soil is mostly clay, uneven and only tapers away from the house on the south side (side yard). I have a corner lot with three old trees on one side and one old tree on the other. The lot is mostly shaded with the exception of midday.

So far I've been offered two types of advice. First was to thatch, core aerate, overseed in the fall and then see how things are next summer and weed and feed accordingly.

The second set of advice was to kill everything, roto-till, rake in some compost, seed and water like crazy. This seemed like better advice considering the significant amount of dips and uneven areas.

Both seem like good advice though, but I'm not sure what my better option is. Between my father and brother in law's resources, I pretty much only have to pay for the grass seed and water, so price isn't really a major issue since I can do either option for pretty low cost.

Comments (2)