SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leo_in_md

How to restart lawn with "No Mow" Fescue?

leo_in_md
11 years ago

My current lawn is about 11-12K sq ft. The grass on the lawn is a mixture of everything, probably K-31, other unknown variety, crabgrass, and other weeds.

I want to kill all of these and plant "No Mow" fescue from Prairie Nursery. Because I usually have very little time to tend my lawn. Not to mention that I don't really like mowing, not to mention in summer. :(

I live on Kent Island, Eastern Shore, Maryland. The soil is mostly clay with 1-2 inch of dark top soil on top perhaps because years of mulching. Some part of the lawn has a slope of 45 degrees.

There are a couple of areas in my back yard however (1000 sq ft in total) that does not drain well and will collect water during heavy or an all day rain. I wonder how can I best improve the drainage. I see another past post from last year, where some recommended to mix with sand, but some said mix with compost (or was it mulch?). Do I need to till it?

Anyway, due to the large amount of work and my limited time to do this, my plan is to do the front and side yard for this year (7K sq ft) and do the back yard next year.

I originally planned to use large black plastic bags (3'x4.5') to kill the existing lawn. After trying to do it yesterday, I realized that it's a lot of work. Although I put sticks and woods on them, the blowing wind makes it difficult to do it. Not to mention I need over 500 bags to do it. :(

So I decided to just use Roundup.

I called Roundup and the rep said that after 7 days I could plant new seed. Well I plan to till the ground first after 7 days since Prairie Nursery recommend to till it.

Roundup rep suggested that I do not mow the lawn because Roundup works through the grass blades. Unfortunately, I just cut the grass yesterday. So I'll just wait about 3 days (on Sept 2nd) to spray Roundup and till the ground on the 9th. Then I will spread the seed on the next weekend, which should be a pretty good temperature (not higher than low 80s on average).

Please see the instruction by Prairie Nursery here:

http://www.prairienursery.com/store/images/file/nomow2003.pdf

I will be using either a drop spreader or broadcast spreader. I do have Scott Accugreen 3000 and Speedygreen 3000. Which one would be best and at what setting?

It is also recommended to rake or drag a piece of chain link fence so that the seed is covered with 1/8 or 1/4 inch of soil. They also recommended to firm the soil with roller or other methods.

Are all of these steps (tilling, raking, and firming) necessary?

Last step would be covering the lawn with one inch of straws.

They recommend using erosion blanket for steep slopes. I'm not sure how many degrees is considered steep. I really don' t wish to use it if possible since these blankets are expensive. I imagine I may need it for the ditch area though.

I want to attach some pictures to show the slopes and ditch. How can I attach pictures here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Nursery No Mow seeding instruction

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting