SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phebelyn

Need help with my Bermuda/Tall Fescue Mixed Lawn

I have searched and searched, and I'm still not sure how to maintain this type of lawn. We have been in a newly built neighborhood for a little over a year now. In this neighborhood there are two different builders. One builder laid Fine Fescue sod in their front yards, and seeded what looks like a Fescue mix in the back. The other builder laid Bermuda sod in the front yards of their homes, and a Tall Fescue in the backyards. We are located in the cul-de-sac, and we have the Bermuda/Tall Fescue mix, along with our neighbors across the street. The neighbor in the dead center of the cul-de-sac has Fine Fescue. His is now going dormant? Dying? He cuts it way too short, and is now out there filling in spots with Scott's ez seed, adding lime without even testing the soil, and then mowing it again. I hate to even explain to him that soon he will have Bermuda from both sides.

Anyway, our Bermuda sod was laid in early spring '15 and so was the Tall Fescue seed in the backyard. Of course the backyard has been green through the winter but didn't need much mowing. The Bermuda in the front went dormant, and brown. It looks so checkered throughout our neighborhood. The new house beside us will be fine Fescue. The house next to that is Bermuda. So strange!

We didn't put anything on the grass in the first spring and summer we were here. All we did was mow. We didn't have to water because there was enough rain throughout the seasons. In November '15 we put down Scott's Turf Builder WinterGuard. Then in March '16 we put Scott's Turf Builder Halts down, and that's it so far. We keep it cut about 3 inches, and our Bermuda is the only one on the street that has come back in nice and green. The other neighbors are still brown, and slowing coming back out. Our Tall Fescue is still dark green even with recent temps in the 80's here.

My question is, how do you keep both grasses? If we got rid of the fescue in the back, we would have nothing but dirt left, and runners of Bermuda here and there. I don't want to add any Bermuda because I know eventually what we do have already will reach the back, the neighbors, etc....Ugh! And there are clumps of Tall Fescue coming up in the front yard as well. Could that have been in the Bermuda sod? I don't remember seeing it last year.

They say not to feed Tall Fescue in the summer, but to feed Bermuda. One landscaper told us to overseed Fescue in the fall. We are thinking of core aerating this fall (we have hard clay soil) and seeding Fescue, just to at least have some green grass in the front during the months Bermuda goes dormant.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to take care, and feed this mixture of warm/cool grasses.

Comments (14)