SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devonzone10a

1st 5-1-1 potting...advice for next time?

devonzone10a
8 years ago

Thanks to all on the forum for all the advice. I originally came here for citrus tree advice, which lead me to Al and his 5-1-1 mix, to SOURCING the darn material, to my first potting of an avocado pit as a trial.

Just want to get any advice on anything I did wrong or could improve on.

Here is my pre-mix.
I found fir fines as both Orchid Bark - Fine Grade (OSH) and ReptiBark (Petsmart)
The Sphagnum moss was cut up using scissors since I heard people grind it in a food processor?
Perlite was screened through insect screen

Mixed about a 10 cup mix
7.5 cups fir, 1.5 cup perlite and 1.5 cup moss

I then mixed all dry ingredients in a big bucket and added lime (3/4/tsp) fertilized water (1 tsp / gallon) to soak for an hour.

Then transplanted avocado pit with tip showing and hard chop just below top 2 large leaves and placed indoors next to window with indirect light. Sprayed leaves with plain water lightly.
I will wait 2 days or so for shock to wear off and give more light. I will water with 1/4 strength FP, and check through hole in bottom to determine if water is needed.

Here are my questions:
Was it ok to cut up moss into basically hamster shredding to add to the mix? Think in my zone I should double up on moss or use turface instead?

Should I only have soaked the fir bark and not everything until the first watering?

Any other suggestions? I will be working up the nerve to move up to transplanting a Meyer Lemon Tree

Thanks to you all for your great information

Devon

Comments (12)