SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

1st time newbie, long time dreamer

gardengrl
10 years ago

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share that after dreaming about WS for almost 15 years (yes!), I am finally doing it! My hubby and I moved to Virginia 3 years ago after living in Florida most of our lives. I actually have a printout of a GardenWeb WS post from the 1990s and remember being sooo fascinated with the thought of simply putting seeds out in the winter and having plants in the spring! At the time, I didn't think I could WS in Florida because we really didn't get true winters down there (although we did complain when it got "cold"!). Gardening in Fla is a challenge as it is.

So, after buying a home on 4 acres 18 months ago, I am anxious to start filling in the landscape. So far, I have only WS some columbine and hollyhocks, but have plans for more.

I didn't have the foresight to gather gallon milk jugs, so I got a few 6" deep Rubbermaid tubs (the ones you slide under the bed) and drilled holes in the tops and bottoms. I used medium-sized styrofoam cups (I know..) with holes in the bottom of each just to get me started this year. I'd like to use the large, plastic seed starting cells, but I couldn't find any at this time of the year...so next year.

I have to admit, I'm kinda confused about what to sow at what times. I know things like tomatoes need to be WS a little later, but what about herbs like parsley, catnip, and basil? What about other flowers like tithonia and borage? The seed packets are a little confusing because some say the seeds are prone to rot, so I'm nervous about putting so many seeds out so early.

Can't wait to see what happens!

Comments (4)

Sponsored