SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blair71

Am I overreacting over my European Hornbeam?

Mike B.
8 years ago

Let me start by saying that I'm new to this forum and am an extreme novice when it comes to trees, so I apologize upfront for my ignorance or for using any incorrect terminology.

I recently purchased 3 Frans Fontaine European Hornbeams and had them planted 3 weeks ago. I know the timing isn't great for planting new trees, but I figured with plenty of water, they would be fine. (The local nursery is going out of business and the trees were 40% off, so I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.) The trees are about 12 - 13' tall and 2" caliper. I'm in Zone 7 and have been watering them about 2 - 3 days per week with those 15 gallon tree gator bags. In addition to that, we've had a decent amount of rain around here for the past few weeks. They are planted in my backyard which gets a lot of sun.

Anyway, I'm noticing that the small/thin twigs on the tree are falling and/or very easy to break and I'm seeing a fair number of brown leaves here and there on the trees. I wouldn't say I"m seeing "a lot" of brown leaves and leaves aren't necessarily dropping everywhere, but the branches look somewhat bare and I'm seeing absolutely zero signs of any growth. Is this normal?

Am I overreacting or is there a problem? Is it possible I'm overwatering or underwatering? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida