SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Another 'Am I Over-reacting' Post!

hobokenkitchen
14 years ago

Our kitchen was finished a little while ago now, but there are still a few finishing touches that needed to be done.

I had a difficult conversation with our GC last week about it and would like to run it by some unbiased sources to see if I am being reasonable or not.

Some of you may remember that our renovation was not without incident... which happens. Half way through the reno I contacted our GC and asked him to be more present during the work to oversee some of what was going on. We would see him maybe once a week for 10 minutes, and that was it. My husband also called him and asked the same thing.

He told us he would make sure he was there more often.... but that did not happen.

During the renovation our guest bathroom shower stopped working. The GC brought in a plumber to look at it. I clarified that we understood that the work to the bathroom was over and above any work to the rest of the house. I was quoted $900 for the shower piece.... not that it needed a lot, but the part was (apparently) very expensive due to the complexity of the system.

After it was fixed by the plumber, the shower works.... on a mediocre basis. The GC looked at it before Christmas and commented that it didn't seem like a $1000 fix.

Last week I received the bill for the shower, which was over $1200. Surprised I looked at the bill and noticed a 10% charge on there along with various other fees..... for no apparent work. I asked the GC about it while he was at our house and apparently the 10% & other fees are for his 'effort' in meeting the plumber at our house.

I told him that I didn't think that was fair given that he should have been at our house anyway doing the renovations to the kitchen. I reminded him that we had specifically requested that he be more present at our home during the renovation, but apparently we have to pay extra for him being present during the plumber's visits.

What do you think about this?? Fair enough to charge more because the bathroom work was seperate from the kitchen work, or not right because he should have been at our house working on the kitchen anyway?

Directly following this conversation he announced that he didn't remember several conversations about small jobs that needed to be done around the house... or rather that he remembered some but not others. He apparently remembered more when I quoted conversations we had had about them verbatum, but it was very difficult and I came very close to losing my temper with him.

I did call him after the altercation and told him that I take some responsibility as I should have insisted on each and every item (no matter how small) be included in our initial contract and it's clear that we remember things differently. I did get very firm which I think surprised him as he hadn't really seen me like that before.

The silly thing is that we are arguing over a half liter of paint and a couple of lines of caulk. It's so ridiculous, but I'm afraid to get our final bill because who knows what unpleasant surprises and upcharges will be on that.: (

I know it's partly my fault for not having each and every item in writing and I feel like an idiot now obviously, but was I right to get as firm as I did, or is he right and I'm just over reacting?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH