SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
123jenkins

Small kitchen remodel - help on corner layout

123jenkins
8 years ago

We are embarking on a remodel of our kitchen and are not 100% happy with the layout both our cabinet KD and cabinet maker have suggested.

Basically, we are happy with the current placement of the existing appliances and sink, however we want to get rid of the "chunky" look of the oven/fridge wall corner (currently housing a 4' wide shallow pantry and the laundry) and also increase our counter space.

We will upgrade to a 30" range (vs the 24" wall oven) so that we can have a long run of counter space on that wall to provide a lighter, more open space. We will also be moving our current laundry area (to the right of the fridge) to the basement. I envisioned a big open space there, however both the cabinet KD and our local cabinet maker have submitted layouts for a longer counter on the range wall with only a tiny little turn onto the fridge wall - that counter will only be 12" long before the start of the pantry/fridge block. Apparently, that is due to the bigger fridge box (36 vs current 30"), the deeper counter on the oven wall (24" vs the 18" shallow pantry) and the relocation of the old pantry to the fridge wall (30" pullout).

I am worried that this new corner will be a dark, dead end for the counter. I've even started to think about adding a window to the left of the oven to provide some light (love, love natural light, but am worried how this will look next to the range hood and loss of cabinets). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (12)