SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michfbgal

Need Your Input! Layout for Small 50s Kitchen Remodel

michfbgal
8 years ago

Let me start by saying that while I haven't been a poster here, I spend more time reading the threads on this board more than I'd like to admit (even those that do not pertain to me or my situation!). So thank you for being one of my guilty pleasures :)

Here's my situation. I have an original 50s kitchen that a year ago I decided I would finally replace the counters. Then I decided I needed to push the peninsula out some more so that I would have more room around the range. Then I decided since I'm doing that, I might as well get new doors for the cabinets. Now after considering all of that it seems as though it makes sense to consider a full (budget) remodel although I'll admit I'm having a hard time thinking of tearing out the perfectly fine cabinets that have been there for so many years....

Because the kitchen is very modest in size, the layout is giving me some problems. Ideally I would like to keep appliances in much the same place that they are but will consider anything for a vastly-improved layout.

Some of my biggest problems right now:

(1) My current rough layout suffers from one of the same problems I have with the current layout - lack of prep space between the sink and range. It's not too bad, though. I wonder about swapping the sink and the dishwasher to improve this but does that put the dishwasher in too odd of a spot?

(2) Will 2.5 inches between the dishwasher and the corner where the perpendicular cabinets meet or do I need to consider a smaller than 36-inch sink base?

(3) Regarding wall cabinets, the corner between the sink wall and the range is difficult. While I like the idea of having cabinets to round the corner to the sink wall a bit, I'm left with an awkward space between the corner cabinet and the hood that will likely be too narrow of a cabinet to be worthwhile. Would it look odd for both sides to have the cabinets run into and stop at the sink wall?

I'll welcome any and all ideas and thoughts - including those urging me to not tear out an old kitchen. No matter what, though, the milk chute door will not be going anywhere! MANY THANKS!!

Current layout and a couple of pictures (yup, those are green counters!):

First floor plan:

Very rough new layout:

Few notes - Fridge wall is approximately 151 inches from the door to the sink wall. Sink wall is approximately 137 inches and range wall is approximately 100 inches. Both corners of the window wall are voided at the base. Thought was to put trash and recycling in the cabinet between fridge and door with hopefully a smaller trash can under the sink. Both d/w and fridge will be replaced. Fridge will be counter depth. Range hood is 42".

Whew! That was a lot but still doesn't come close to all the scenarios that have been running through my head. If you're still reading, thanks!

Comments (14)