SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayor598

Layout help needed for small kitchen remodel

mayor598
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm a newbie emerging from lurker status now that we're planning a spring 2012 kitchen renovation. I won't know my final budget until January so I'm planning a low and mid-range budget to be safe. We live in a 1980's split-level open concept bungalow with cathedral ceilings and its original kitchen: white melamine cupboards, white melamine counters, white globe lighting fixtures, white ceiling fan.... The living room and kitchen/dining area are open concept with the living room on the entry level and the kitchen/dining area and bedrooms on the upper level. There is a shared wall between the kitchen and the living room. That wall measures 38" high when measured from the floor of the dining area and the ceiling directly above it is 14' high. The highest point of the cathedral ceilings is where the living room and dining area are adjacent. The lowest point of the ceiling starts on the wall with the slider doors with an 8' ceiling and the ceiling rises to 14' above the dining area. From the dining table you have a full view of the kitchen and back patio and a partial to full view of the living room depending on whether you're sitting or standing. The kitchen itself is 10' wide x 8' long galley style kitchen in a larger shared area with the dining room.

My motto for the remodel is function over form. Since I don't have a lot of space to work with I'm trying to focus on making my kitchen more efficient and leaving out the bells and whistles. Plus, DH doesn't want this renovation to cost a lot so he's set some ground rules:

1. Cannot move the plumbing. I think the right design would make him reconsider.

2. Cannot change dishwasher or refrigerator (bought fridge 2 years ago so I agree)

3. Cannot move any walls or windows or put up any walls.

As I see it, there are 4 must-haves for this remodel:

1. Hood ventilation to the outside

2. More counter space

3. More cabinet space

4. Lighting

I can't think of a plan that adds more counter between the sink and the stove. Per my attempt at drawing a floor plan, I have 12" of counter space between the slider wall and the range/oven and a whopping 6" of counter space between the sink and the range/oven. I often end up prepping on the stove with the cutting board balanced on that little piece of counter space or I prep on the dining table. The counter opposite the sink has been taken over by DH's coffee machine and accessories. DH takes his coffee very seriously and so I need to plan a coffee bar or else any counter space I do end up creating will only be expropriated by the machine and its entourage. We have a long, narrow freestanding table with drawers and shelves placed under the long window in the alcove to store the microwave on and help deal with the counter situation. But I find it's too far from the sink and isn't ideal for prep (yes, I realize that it's only a foot or two away from the dining table).

There are no doors in the space so this is not a concern.

Appliances: The only appliance we're definitely changing is the range/oven. I've been thinking about sizing down to 24" to get more counter space but worry that it would be a deal breaker for potential buyers when we're ready to sell. Plus there's the scale since all the other appliances are standard size. As for cooktop and wall oven, I'm leaning towards a traditional range/oven combination because of space constraints.

I'm not sure if we're replacing the microwave. The only reason that I would is if we need a smaller one since I would like to get the microwave off of the counter and into a shelf or drawer. I haven't read encouraging user reviews of OTR microwaves but if there's a good brand that functions as well as a vent hood then I'm open to this too.

Our current dishwasher is a standard 24" white GE and will probably be with us for the rest of its natural life unless the new kitchen is so awe-inspiring that DH decides that it must go.

Our current refrigerator is stainless steel, standard depth, 32" wide that we bought in 2009 so we'd like to keep it.

Vent hood will be replaced; the current one's only purpose is for lighting. I haven't given this much thought yet.

I would love to have a walk-in pantry but would be equally happy with pull out cabinets and am leaning towards cabinets.

I would like an island or a peninsula but don't think there's enough space for either. As for the cabinets, I would like to take them higher since we have the vertical space. A local cabinetmaker I visited suggested not making them higher than 8'. My current cabinets go to a height of 7' and I have a mix of 20" and 30" wall cabinets.

The alcove area is 104" wide x by 88" high x 27" deep and has three windows that are each 29" off of the ground. The two smaller windows are 14" wide by 56 1/2" wide. The large window is 104" wide x 56 1/2" wide. This is where the freestanding table is currently located but I was hoping to make this a banquette area with additional storage under the seating. I'm open to any ideas as to what to do with this area.

The 69" angled wall is in the dining area and not the kitchen but maybe it can help out? We have art on this wall right now. Maybe open shelving or chalkboard section for our children. I'd love for it to have an additional function since it just seems like a tall, empty wall right now.

We have two preschool sons and while we're considering moving in a few years, this could be my forever home as I don't want bigger just more efficient. I cook 5-7 days a week, 2-3 meals per day, bake once a week and make jam and preserves 2-3 times a month. We entertain about twice a month and it gets crazy during Christmas holiday and New Year's. There are regularly days that I'm in the kitchen for 7-9 hours so my kitchen is a real workhorse.

Thanks for reading such a long post. Please guide me. I've been going through kitchen and bath magazines for a month and while I've pinned down the look I want, I'm design-challenged and am hopeless with the layout, zones, etc. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)