SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

The San Antonio Botanical Gardens today ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My friend Omar drove down and we spent a wonderful 5 hours at the SABG. We were there early and the weather was wonderful; overcast and relatively cool. Everything growing there was remarkable, and believe me we spent plenty of time remarking ... LOL!

Below are some plants and combos that grabbed my attention today.

This lily was growing in many of the shady places. Can anyone ID it?

This is the foliage ...

A view through sides of the Wisteria arbor ...

We picked up a delicious scent and scurried around looking for the source. Then Omar looked up and saw this ...

... a very tall tree labeled Mexican Sweetspire. Why have I never noticed this tree in nurseries, or for that matter, at the botanical garden before? But alas, the description above says never let the soil dry out as it likes very moist growing condition. Does anyone on here grow it? Another view with EEs...

Omar found this recently expired, but still beautiful dragonfly on the ground ...

The garden is full of amazing plant combinations, but this one impressed me the most today. It was one of the prettiest things I ever saw!

Caladiums and Euphorbia 'Jack Frost' (perhaps?) The picture does not do it justice. It's something to try if you grow caladiums ...

I was impressed by the various degrees of varietion on one plant, from pure white to pure green and many editions in between ...

We spent many pleasant hours walking and admiring the beautiful plants, but we both agreed the most enjoyable section was the nature walk around the small lake.

Do you see the wakes of the four ducks making a bee line for us in case we had goodies for them?

Unfortunatly, we had nothing to give them. Must remember to take something to offer them next time.

After a delicious lunch at the gardens we came back to my yard and spent another couple of hours.

And thanks to 'SunnySA' Irene Omar finally went home happy with that said Brazilian white orchid tree he's been wanting for years !!!! which I hadn't been able to get a cutting going although I tried and even 'Blue Girl' Karen tried using her mist system. ... :-( Irene ordered seeds and gave me one of the seedlings with permission to keep it or give it away.

There's nothing like good company (thank you Omar) and pretty plants to make my day.

Comments (21)

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

Yes, it was a wonderful day. Thank you Ragna and Irene for such a great experience and plants.

Omar

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

Amazing photos as usual. I'm so glad you two got to go

It did look shady was it overcast? Perfect time to go

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked jolanaweb
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a photo with Omar's hand to show the size of the lily in bloom ...

The flowers look like crinum, but the foliage was more narrow. It's purely curiosity that wants to know if it's a crinum ... :-)

Mallard ducks among the cypress knees ...

I wonder if these dark colored castor bean leaves are the New Zealand purple variety about which the internet says: "has smaller, reddish purple leaves and branches less than other types ...

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

Thanks for the beautiful "walk in the park"!

(I'm thinking that white flower must be in the crinum family...)

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked sylviatexas1
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Beautiful garden. That caladium /euphorbia combo is a kicker! AS to the mexican sweet spire, I think it is a gar rya and Yucadu USED to carry it several years back. it always made me drool but the moisture rating on me made me think that if I lived in Louisiana or Houston, it would be a definite go but not on my hilltop. I will stick to the hill country less perfuse one. The PCW one is spectacular too but it suffers when it is in the 90's. God knows what it would do at 110+. in the shade. Those Garryas are an interesting family of plants.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • jolanaweb
    8 years ago

Hi Ragna, one of our neighbors in Lake Livingston has that crinum, or at least looks like it

She calls it a swamp lily, I googled that and found Crinum americanum

Maybe that is it

"There is an early botanical historical description of Crinum americanum, a lily that is reported to be native to the Eastern U.S., however, this Crinum does not fit the William Bartram description of "broad" leaves, since Crinum americanum has very narrow leaves and Crinum asiaticum has very "broad" leaves. Additionally, Bartram observed that the Crinum, 'Lilium superbum', produced: the "fragrant breath of the superb Crinum...and whiteness of flowers at once charmed me". He recorded these Crinum flowers as blooming during the month of March of the year, l774, which could only be the flowers of Crinum asiaticum, since Crinum americium only blooms in late summer and during the fall – and never in the month of March. These facts prove that the description of the lily as described by William Bartram was Crinum asiaticum."

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked jolanaweb
  • TxMarti
    8 years ago

The white flower looks like Crinum asiaticum, aka white spider lily crinum. lol

Gorgeous plants there. Fun trip but a hot walk too. I wonder how they keep the edges from drying out on the crinum? What is in the bowl in front of the elephant ears?

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked TxMarti
  • Bossy vossy
    8 years ago

thanks for sharing. caladium/euphorbia combo was awesome. maybe you cans send the pic to Nestor who is bulbsandmore on ebay. He knows an awful lot about crinums and can prob. ID this one for you.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Bossy vossy
  • loreleicomal
    8 years ago

I bought one of those sweetspires the last time I went to the Botanical garden sale but still have not planted it. I'm afraid i may have lost it this weekend when I was gone for 4 days.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked loreleicomal
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lorelei, are you sure your Texas sweetspire is a goner? Dang -- here I go dreaming up more stuff to plant again ... LOL, but IF I had it I'd be real tempted to plant it where it could get the regular irrigation from the washing machine.

• loreleicomal
    8 years ago

I've been babying it so I hope it makes it, will let you know. My graywater irrigation has moved paths (I think roots have clogged it) and it no longer goes out where I can plant a tree! :(

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked loreleicomal
  • Lin barkingdogwoods
    8 years ago

Re: The white lilies - whether they're crinum americanum or erubescens. I have a similar plant that a woman near Tyler wanted removed from her garden. I sent a query to a bulb group I'm on to see if they could ID them (all I knew is they were stoloniferous and bloomed white, like the photo above). Here is the reply I received:

"When you next get a bloom, check to see if the stalk has
    a reddish cast to it = erubescens. Crinum americanum will grow in ordinary
    flower beds, but doesn't flower as much as it would have in a moister setting."

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Lin barkingdogwoods
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lin, it seems the stalks have a definite reddish cast, wouldn't you say?

Crinum erubescens Do you all agree? Sorry, I haven't taken the time to research the suggestions offered above, but I appreciate everyone's efforts to help ID it.

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

You go Lin!!! Now the big question is where do they sell them

Excuse me In the Austin area

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

At the SABG, :p

Omar

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    8 years ago

Definitely has a red cast to my eye, so I'd say erubescens. My americana is in my water garden - the stems are much lighter (plus it really needs water to flourish).

I gave some of my erubescens to the Bulb Hunter when he spoke at my garden club, so he should have some for sale in a couple of years :)

ETA: the crinum is stretching for the light since my grapevine is blocking light through the fence. It has another bud on it, so maybe I can get a photo when it first opens. These set seed readily.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Lin barkingdogwoods
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to let everybody know that Patty wrote to Mary Irish (click to see her Amazon Page) , who is in charge of the SABG plant sales. and received this reply:

"We do indeed sell Crinum erubescens. Look for the next sale September 12-13.

"Thanks and see you soon.

"Mary"

Lin thank you for showing us what the Americana variety looks like for comparison. It's very beautiful also and seems to have much longer, more droopy flower petals and as you indicate is good for wet areas such as around ponds.

• phoenix7801
    8 years ago

That Euphorbia is called "White Manaus." I should know considering my partner and I grew them from plugs.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked phoenix7801
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joey thank you for the ID. Above I said it was maybe 'Jack Frost'. I see from this link I was thinking of 'Diamond Frost', but it is neither. It is White manaus .

That was evidentaly a LOT of plugs you and your partner grew! ... :-)

• phoenix7801
    8 years ago

Well we get alot of plugs from brokerages and we grow them up into 4" sized plants that go into the gardens. We've just begun sowing the seeds for the fall rollout in October

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked phoenix7801