SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan754

Being a foster parent to birds is a tough job

joan754
8 years ago

I have a bird house that tree swallows love and every year return to nest. It is fun watching them and they sure aren't afraid of humans. In the past years, I have always been fortunate enough to see the young ones fledge. Each year there have been four babies. Last year was a sad year as something happened to the female. I found her dead in the nest and the male kept returning to the box. I didn't know what had happened but got curious when he kept looking in the box but not going in. I finally opened up the back door and found the female, so I just cleaned out the box; however, it was too late for any new nesters. This year was a success and yesterday morning three fledglings tooks off within an hour or each one. Based on previous years, I assumed the one with his head out the door was the last one. However, yesterday afternoon I noticed 2 jostling for position so I thought that the pair had 5 babies this time. This morning no. 4 successfully fledged so I thought that no. 5 would soon follow. However, I was surprised to see two heads poke out of the box. So, this year we have 6 babies. No. 5 flew off just before noon, which left no. 6 by himself. Mom and dad kept encouraging him to take off too but he was holding out. Finally about 1 1/2 hours after no. 5, he took off but to my horror, landed on my grass. He tried to fly but just couldn't get off the ground. Mom and dad kept flying over him but he wasn't strong enough. I didn't know what to do with him. I kept watching him and he would just flutter above the grass. I didn't want to lose sight of him as he was trying to get through our neighbors fence and they have dogs so I didn't want him to go into the neighbour's yard. I slowly approached him and he took off towards my deck. I finally decided I would try to catch him and return him to the box as I knew that mom and dad would not feed him on the ground. I finally did catch him and gently put him back into the box and then prayed that the parents would return. They had been coming back and looking in the box but it had been some time since he had left and I was afraid that they had given up. However, finally, they did come back and have continued to feed him. He even has recovered from his trauma to poke his head out of the box once again. I'm hoping that the parents will continue to feed him until he is strong enough to once again try to fledge. I hope they realize he isn't strong enough yet. I won't be around for 2 days starting tomorrow so I won't be able to see what happens but here's praying he makes it the second time. Fostering is a tough job.

Comment