SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_adk_4a

orchard report

Peter 4a
8 years ago

I've lurked on this forum for a couple years and gleaned some good information, so I figured it was about time I gave back and started sharing my experience in the hopes that it will help somebody else. I have a chunk of land in the Adirondacks in upstate New York. It is a zone 4a area. I know that may seem downright warm to some folks on here, but as you'll see below, I've had my share of winter kills. I did push my luck with things like chestnuts, peaches, and a sweet cherry, but even some of the stuff that I expected to be hardy has suffered damage or completely died. This forum seems to be one of the few places that I can get good information about what might be reliably hardy in my area.

If any of you are familiar with (the now retired) St. Lawrence Nursery, my plot is not too far from there, but it is about a half zone colder (their place is 4b). I started the orchard in the spring of 2013, and we've had two relatively harsh winters since then, so I figure a lot of the stuff has been winter tested pretty well already. I have a recording min/max thermometer in the orchard that seems fairly accurate. The first winter it hit -24F (-31C), and this past winter it hit -29F (-34C). Late spring temperature fluctuations and late frosts are expected to be a serious problem for flowers once the trees mature. We had 23F (-4.5C) on 5/24 this year, which was a record low. It killed all flowers and some vegetation.

The soil is sandy and rather low in organic matter, but has excellent drainage and has a gentle slope to the SW that should prevent frost pockets. The area had been a rather marginal dairy farm in the 1950's and had been fallow ever since. The existing brush and trees were ripped out and the area limed (it was laboratory tested at ~4.6pH), fertilized, tilled, and planted with cover crops in 2012 before being planted with trees in spring of 2013. I test the soil every spring and broadcast fertilizer as stuff leafs out in late May and again at the beginning of July. No amendments after that. I water new plantings for the first few weeks, but no water for anything after that. I keep a ~3' (90cm) circle around each tree weed/grass free and mulch that circle. Between trees I planted mostly clover with some grass that I mow a few times a year. I paint all the tree trunks with a mixture of white paint and joint compound in the fall to help prevent southwest injury and also as a rodent deterrent. There is significant deer pressure, so bushes are in a fenced enclosure and trees are individually fenced. The exception is the canes, and that might need to change if I want them to do anything. So all that being said, here is how things have fared so far.

Haskaps:

I have a tundra, borealis, and an "unselected pollinator". All survived both winters, though a couple had significant rodent damage one winter. All are dense and lush looking, but have put on relatively little growth. Largest is ~30" tall (75cm), though somewhat wider than that. No flowers/fruit yet.

Blueberries (these were all established bushes that were transplanted to the orchard):

• Herbert: The largest of the cultivated varieties in the group. More winter damage than the other cultivated varieties this winter, but still in good shape.
  • Patriot(3): Medium sized, moderate winter damage this winter, no damage previous years.
  • St. Cloud(2): Medium sized, moderate winter damage this winter, no damage previous years.
  • Polaris: Very small bush. Minor damage this winter, no damage previous years.
  • Northblue(5): Relatively small bushes. Minor damage this winter, no damage previous years.
  • Wild Highbush(2): I stumbled on these two about 30' (9m) apart in the woods on the edge of a swamp on our property. Nobody in my family has ever seen any other wild highbush blueberries in this part of the Adirondacks before (lots of wild lowbush). They are both ~60" (1.5m) high and a bit wider than that. These got transplanted out of the woods and to the orchard in spring of 2014. Survived the transplant and the first winter and seem to be doing OK. Modest berry production while they were in a shady area before transplanting, and continued modest berry production the first year in the orchard. Berries are slightly larger than the wild lowbush berries, but definitely smaller than the cultivated varieties. Taste is similar to the wild lowbush ones. No winter damage to vegetation either year, though all the flowers were killed in the late spring freeze this year along with all the other varieties.

Raspberries (unprotected from deer):

• Pequot(black): These were planted spring of 2014. Seem to be struggling, in large part because of deer. At least the root structure survived the winter. Black raspberries are likely marginal here, though this variety is supposed to be one of most hardy.
  • Autumn Bliss(primocane red): These were planted spring of 2014. They are in even worse shape than the black raspberries likely due to the deer. At least the root structure survived the winter. There are plenty of wild red raspberries around, so they should do OK if the deer give them a chance. Some of the plants have died, though some have spread via runners. All are tiny.

Cherries:

• Lapins(on unknown standard rootstock): Suffered significant tip damage the first winter. Also appeared to suffer SW injury despite the white paint. Had reasonable growth, but took moderate Japanese beetle damage both summers. Completely killed the second winter.
  • Evans/Bali (own roots/tissue culture): Started out as a small 18" (45cm) plant on own roots; grown from tissue culture. Has grown great and showed no sign of winter damage. Over 7' (2.5m) in its 3rd year. Bugs leave it alone, too.
  • Carmine Jewel(2): Small when planted, but both have grown well since. One had its main stem snapped(I think it was wind) in its second year. It was splinted upright and seemed to heal over and keep growing. That part leafed out(and flowered) this spring but then died. It is growing from below the break and from a sucker, so the plant should survive. Flowers on both plants in the 3rd spring, though they all froze. The undamaged one is ~5' (1.5m) in 3rd year.
  • Crimson Passion(2): Very small when planted, but both have grown well since and are >4' (1.2m). Flowers on both plants in the 3rd spring, though they all froze.

Peaches (unknown rootstock):

A Contender and a McKay. Both grew well the first year but were completely killed the first winter. I knew these would be a stretch for 4a, but wanted to give them a try since I love peaches and some places said they could grow in zone 4.

Apricots (unknown rootstock):

Westcot and Debbie's Gold. Both were planted spring of 2015(to replace the peaches), so no real info on these yet.

Plums (hyprids are on P. Americana):

• Black Ice: No sign of winter damage either year. Modest japanese beetle damage. Had to prune heavily to get into a reasonable shape. Has put on quite a bit of growth, though it looks a bit sickly in its third summer with pale, small leaves.
  • Superior: No sign of winter damage either year. Had to prune heavily to get into a reasonable shape. It refuses to form anything close to a central leader. I know stone fruits are often done as a vase-shape, but it just seems to want to spread from down low. Has put on tons of growth each year. Might be the most vigorously growing tree in the orchard. Modest japanese beetle damage.
  • Prunus Americana Seedling: Theoretically should be a good pollinator for the hybrids. Has a good shape, but very twiggy and dense growth habit. No sign of winter damage either year or any bug damage.

Pears:

• Hudar(on P. Communus or P. Ussuriensis): Killed to snowline first winter. Grew back like crazy ~5' (150cm) the next summer. Killed to snowline again in second winter. This is listed as being a zone 3 pear, so I'm not sure what happened here. Might get ripped out and replaced next spring.
  • Nova (on OHxF97): Some tip damage the first winter. Grew well the second year. Killed to the snowline the 2nd winter. This is listed as being a zone 3 pear, so I'm not sure what happened here. I'm debating whether to replace this tree or not. I accidentally damaged the remaining shoot while pruning off the dead stuff, but if it lives, I'm leaning towards giving it another year.

Grapes:

Sommerset Seedless, Bluebell, and Marquette(2). All were planted spring 2014. They all broke dormancy late (end of May/beginning of June) and growth seemed poor. None grew even 3' (90cm). All died over their first winter. One of the Marquettes sprouted a root sucker after it died, but I'm assuming it was grafted. The winter kill was a surprise here, too. At a minimum, the Bluebell should have survived. Perhaps they just weren't happy with the soil or were poor stock to start with. I may try the same cultivars again next spring.

American Cranberry:

The cultivar is "Stevens". Planted spring 2014. Two 4" pots, each split in two and planted a couple feet apart in a square pattern. They sent out a few runners the first summer. Produced 1/2 dozen berries the first fall. Supposedly are very hardy, but are prone to dehydration in the winter when the ground freezes, which is why commercial varieties are often kept submerged in water/ice over the winter. I wasn't sure how well these would survive the winter here without any water covering, but so far so good. In mid-April, most of the leaves were a purple color rather than the normal green colors so I was worried, but they greened back up in the spring and are putting out a good number of runners in the second year.

Hazelnuts:

These are being grown in a hedge with 4' (1.2m) spacing. I intend pull out the ones that don't perform and let the others fill in. Most started out as small ~18" (45cm) plants.

• Skinner x (Graham and Winkler) Seedlings(4): These started out larger than the other varieties(~5', 1.5m). Not growing very vigorously, but showed no signs of winter damage either year and had a few catkins and flowers this spring(they froze). Starting to sucker vigorously in the third year. I saw the parents of these at St. Lawrence Nursery, and they were impressive >15' (4.5m) shrubs, though there seemed to be very few nuts when I saw them.
  • Yamhill layering: A commercial variety from Oregon. Killed down to the snowline both years, but strong regrowth afterwards. Might get yanked because there is little chance it will be hardy enough, but I'm tempted to give it a little more time because if it ever produces nuts, they would almost certainly be the biggest and best of the group. Probably just a pipe-dream, though.
  • Luvall's #3 X Santiam Seedlings(2): No obvious winter damage the first year. Both had some winter damage the second winter, but are growing back well.
  • Luvalls #3 X H3R13P40 Seedling: No obvious winter damage the first year. Killed to ground the second winter, but regrowing well.
  • LaFeuillage X H3R13P40 Seedlings(2): No obvious winter damage either year. One is vigorous, one barely growing. The more vigorous one took significant insect damage from some kind of caterpillar during the 2nd summer.
  • H2R8P47 X H3R13P40 Seedlings(2): No obvious winter damage the first year. Some damage 2nd winter. One is larger than the other, but both have good growth for their size.

Chestnuts:

"Down and Out(3)", "Super(2)", and "MAC(2)". All are seedling crosses of various Chinese and American heritage. All died to snowline the first winter, grew back vigorously, died to the ground in the 2nd winter, and only one of each variety has grown back from the roots. I don't have much hope for these, but I might try some of the Badgersett chestnuts and see if they are any hardier.

Apples (all on standard Antonovka seedling stock):

• Chestnut Crab: No winter damage either year. Slow growth the first year, but really took off the second year. A few flowers in the third spring, but they froze. Significant aphid damage in the third year.
  • Honeycrisp: No winter damage either year. Slow growth the first year, but really took off the second year. A few flowers in the third spring, but they froze. Great structure/shape with no pruning.
  • Ashmead's Kernel: No obvious winter damage the first winter. Not a lot of growth the 2nd year. Leafed out after the second winter, but leaves died quickly. Maybe the trunk was killed but not the buds? Or maybe killed by the hard freeze in late May? Some weak regrowth from down low. I'm debating whether or not to replace this. Might depend on how well it regrows this year.
  • Dabinett: Looked dead when I planted it. Leafed out(late), but grew only a little the first year. Looked dead in 2nd spring, but leafed out(late) with some tip damage. Grew moderately the 2nd year. Major winter damage the 2nd winter, growing back from mid-height. This might get replaced due to lack of hardiness and vigor.
  • Honeygold: No winter damage either year. Grew great right from the start despite scanty looking roots. This is the biggest tree in the orchard and is >13' (4m) in its 3rd summer, though it did start out fairly large at ~8' (2.5m). A few flowers in the 3rd spring, but they froze.
  • Golden Russet: No obvious winter damage either year. Infested with aphids the 2nd summer and grew only modestly. Infested with aphids again in 3rd year.
  • Wealthy: Planted spring of 2014. No sign of winter damage. Grew well for the first year. Cage got knocked over by an animal and the tree got scraped up a bit, but it bounced right back. Cage got knocked over again in early spring 2015 despite 3 stakes. Some branches got eaten by deer, trunk bent and scraped, but after staking upright and re-caging, it seems to be doing OK now.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH