SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kansasfruiter

Reports on our Community Orchard

kansasfruiter
14 years ago

I thought I would give a quick report on our community orchard. I posted earlier this year and received several helpful comments/e-mails. We received a $15000 grant, split between a garden, orchard, and farmer's market. I am on the orchard committee. We bought 40, 5-7 ft. feathered trees from Adams County. Terrific experience so far. They were quite helpful with varieties. One apple they have has a shelf life of 11 months!

In a couple of weeks the community meets on a Saturday with a landscaping expert. He is giving a demo on underground drip systems and installing it for the fruit trees. He wanted it in before the trees came. In April, we get together again to plant. Does anyone have experience with a community orchard?

We began with a community garden last year. It was beyond successful. Our goal was to feed those in need. Even after everyone picked and picked for personal use, we were able to bring weekly boxes of vegetables to the local Needy Foods organization. We are hoping the orchard is as popular. It is a perk of living in a rural town

Comments (9)