SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Unsafe House for Parties

We purchased this custom home marketed as "entertainer property" a couple years ago. It's so perfect for the 4th of July! Huge view deck allows us to see fireworks all over the valley below. Waterfall pool and fire pit create great ambiance.

It's become a family-close neighbor tradition, however at least two people always trip going up one step out of the carpeted living room onto the tile entry with red wine and broken glass everywhere. I may have to get a toddler gate, but it's a wide opening about 6' across. It's on the diagonal and I am not sure how to even attach a gate. I'm thinking maybe two silk trees offset. One on the tile and one on the carpet. Something that alerts to the difference in heights.

Luckily the only thing hurt so far is feelings. They are embarrassed for tripping and all apologize for breaking my beautiful wine glasses, but I don't care about those. The glasses are big and great, but I don't have a matching set. I pick up 2 or 3 cheap at a thrift store now and then. They look like they match, but they don't.

Last night we discovered a new hazard. My DIL's dad was exiting the kitchen and made eye contact with people coming toward him. He tripped on the bottom staircase step that juts out about a foot. Next year, I'll put a plant there... I called and checked on him this morning. He's OK, but a little sore.

I'm a little too busy being hostess to watch and warn everyone, and they've all been here before. You'd think they'd know about those steps by now. Alcohol does make reaction times slower.

Comments (21)