SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I too need furniture layout help, please!

IdaClaire
8 years ago

We are starting to think seriously about how we'll set up the space designated as the "Great Room" in our new, downsized home (see center of floor plan below). I jokingly call it the "Mediocre Room", because 18'5" x 14'-something (seriously, what the heck does 14'-16" MEAN? 15'-4"? I'm not even sure at this point) hardly constitutes GREATness. But anyway ...

Aside from a couple of counter stools at the island, I want to furnish this space comfortably but sparsely. I'm envisioning a small-ish sectional, but just not sure how it would look in this area. We have a Hooker wall unit/media center for the ginormous television (see photo below - it's the CENTER PIECE ONLY; we don't have the side pieces) that we'll either use in the Great Room, or possibly try to put upstairs in the Game Room (which will be a reading/TV-watching room in all likelihood). If the wall unit ends up in the Great Room, I'm not sure which wall it would go on. It may be entirely too overwhelming for the space. I really don't want a TV to go over the fireplace. It's going to be stone with a cedar mantle, and I'd rather accent it with a favorite piece of art.

Since construction is just getting underway on our home, I'm having a hard time envisioning ALL of this. We are already prepared to get rid of most of what we currently have and buy some new pieces - but as I said, sparsely furnished will be key. How would you furnish this Great/Mediocre space?

We have the center piece ONLY:

Comments (42)