SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's Seedlings So Far

shive
8 years ago

I'd been waiting for Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise to start blooming, and it had its ffo today. This is a three-year-old seedling that first bloomed last year with only five buds. This year it has 12 buds in the part-shade seedling bed. The major change was the size of the bloom. Last year it was just under 6 inches. Today's bloom was just over 7 inches. Scapes this year are 28 inches.

Here's the seedling from another angle with SOT X RR #2 in the background. You can see how much larger this pink is. I love the wide, blunt sepals.

Part of my clump of Cosmic Sensation X Alan Lane Agin is doing well. The two scapes that get the most sun are 30 inches tall. The one with the most sun has four-way branching and 24 buds. The other tall scape has 20 buds. The remaining four scapes are shaded too much by the Sun Bear monster and short scapes and not many buds.

Here's a group shot of the same seedling. The big seed pod is this seedling crossed with Mayans' Dawn.

Sun Bear X Julie Newmar #2 got shaded out by its sibling, so its stats are not a good as in past years when it had 18-20 buds per scape. The bloom is 7 inches - usually on 30-inch scapes, but this year on a variety of heights due to too much shading.

The early white seedling, Dust Be Diamonds X Tuxedo Junction also had a variety of scape heights. The blooms were mostly 7 inches. The blooms always look as pretty in the evening as they do in the morning. Before the neighbor's trees matured, this seedling had 18-20 buds per scape.

Into the Mystic X Symphony of Praise also suffered from too much shade. The scape with the most sun has four-way branching and 26 buds.

Here's another look at the Sun Bear X Julie Newmar #1 giant clump. I like the body of the plant, but I'd like a larger bloom on those tall 37-40 inch scapes. The blooms are 6.5 inches. I've also been discouraged on the very hot days with the heat index at 97-100 with the blooms melting and looking brownish.

Here's Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion #1, also the victim of too much shade this year. It's shorter than it's past year's height of 30 inches. It also lack the lateral branching it's had in the past.

Here's another look at Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion #2.

Debra

Comments (15)