SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Do you belong to an AV club/society?

Karin
8 years ago

And what do/don't you like about it?

For me, the first club meeting i ever went to was "weird" - i didn't know how things worked, thought i knew everything imaginable about african violets, and am not very good at getting to know new people.

finally, i got over myself and joined a different AV society (fortunately, there are two in my area, well, three i could easily get to actually).

so, what was different?

My expectations for sure. I wiped all my preconceptions from my mind (or pretended to) and there were two people i had at least met before, doing trades off of facebook and kijiji...

I am debating going back and giving that first club another chance - now that i've got a better perspective, and know more of the people, since a lot of them belong to both societies.

So, let me tell you about the society i belong to...

The meeting is supposed to start promptly at 2pm sundays, though often it is 2:10.

before that, in the same space, the administrative meeting takes place (i know about it but am not part). people start trickling in about quarter to two, mingle, chat, buy raffle tickets or donate plants and items for the raffle. this is one of the ways my club makes money, and it's a great way to get new plants or get rid of extras.

one of the members, sometimes more, sets up a small sales table where they sell plants - with portion of the proceeds going to the society.

The meeting is called to order, we get informed of "business" and the doings/health of other members who weren't able to attend.

then there is "show and tell" where people can bring in plants they want feedback on.

then we usually proceed to the mini show - where members bring in plants they groomed for show, sometimes there are a bunch, sometimes just a couple. they get judged and ranked, with explanations given on the results and what to do better (wipe that pot, will ya! )

then there is a break, with baked goods, coffee, more raffle tickets being sold, and afterwards drawn & announced - each person whose ticket gets drawn, picks an item and draws the next winner... meanwhile people shop and chat and ogle the show plants.

After the break is a presentation, where either a club member who is skilled at something presents a topic, or a guest speaker enthralls us all...

Then there are announcements about future events, and we all go home (the place we rent cleans up after us - how novel.)

we have a show in spring, coupled with a sale, and another sale in the fall. a potluck for christmas, and one in summer.

not everything is wonderful, there are politics and "power struggles" - which i am not entirely aware of yet. there are traditionalists, people who want to change everything, those who just want to talk, and others who just sit back and watch the games unfold...

Me? I am deciding my own approach - how involved i want to be, where i see the club heading, and how vocally i want to stand by my own opinion....

So, how about you guys?

Karin

Comments (13)