SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Cooking And Menu Suggestions - For A Precooked Meal

John Liu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey, I wanted to get some suggestions. Partly about preparing food ahead, partly about menu. This is a meal that needs to be mostly precooked.

On Friday I'm cycling with some friends from near Portland to a cabin in the mountains. About 42 miles and 3800 feet climbing. I'm responsible for dinner that day. In the morning, I'll give the food, in a cooler, to someone who will drive it up to the cabin. When we arrive, much later, after 5+ hours of riding, I figure I'll only want to deal with about an hour, max, of cooking before serving up.

The menu is up to me, which means it is up in the air. I know I want to include Chicken Marbella and some grilled pork ribs. We'll want some carbs, but I believe someone is gluten free. Someone else might be vegetarian. Whatever it is, has to tolerate being partly cooked, refrigerated overnight, packed in a cooler for about 6 hours, then finished off in < 1 hour.

So the first question is: how much to do ahead? My instinct is to fully cook the chicken, so it merely has to be reheated upon arrival, and to pre-cook the marinated ribs until they are at falling-off-bone stage, so they only need ten minutes of grilling to be ready. Can you think of any reason not to do this, why I might want to reserve more cooking for immediately before the meal? Other than the social aspects, but there's the risk everyone will be off showering or whining about their legs while I stand there cooking.

The second question is: what else to have? Maybe something with rice? Some roasted veg? I'm not feeling too inspired or imaginative.

Comments (23)