SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

luau menu - suggestions still needed

jenn
13 years ago

I'm still planning the menu for the luau we're planning for my mom's 80th birthday next Sunday. This will be a very small party (immediate family only) and no alcohol will be served (recovering alcoholic in attendance -- I know, I've heard the "serve it anyway and let them deal with it" but I choose not to anyway).

Anyhoo... we will cook hamburgers on the Weber charcoal grill.... not typically luau fare, but she requested them and they were always a family favorite. I am planning a luau-ish menu around the burgers. My time will be VERY limited because I work full time and will be busy with something else most of the day next Saturday. The party is on Sunday, so I would like to include some items we can prepare ahead.

Everyone will arrive around noon-ish, and we plan to eat the main meal (burgers etc.) around 4:00. Everyone will be starving if I don't serve substantial food before then.

This is my tentative menu -- your favorite recipes and suggestions would be appreciated!!!:

Appetizers:

-Lomi Lomi w/crackers (made from good canned salmon)

-Shrimp cocktail

-Teriyaki chicken on skewers (***seeking a good recipe***)

-Fresh fruit skewers with vanilla-yogurt dip and toasted coconut

Main meal:

- Hamburgers w/ the trimmings

- Cabbage salad

- Tossed green salad w/toasted macadamia nuts

- Corn on the cob (???)

- Fresh fruit: pineapple, watermelon, kiwi, papaya, etc.

Dessert:

- Cupcake cake (white cupcakes w/ whipped cream frosting, decorated w/ a lei around the edge using buttercream flowers)

- Homemade vanilla and chocolate ice creams

- Fresh strawberries

Beverages:

- Iced tea (probably Good Earth)

- Fruit smootie (plain yogurt-based)

- Coffee

Comments (11)