SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandyscherer

Fireplace with cathedral ceiling dilemma

farmdrmer
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are building new home, style is farm/folk victorian inspired (but not rustic). Our living room will have 9' ceilings with cathedral. Roof pitch is 10/12 so fairly steep there. The fireplace is at the end of one of the high walls, so it will be a main focal point. I very strongly prefer no TV above the fireplace, instead having artwork or meaningful decorative objects.

Husband and I are divided on the aesthetics of the fireplace, almost our only design disagreement for the whole house. We will have a vent free unit.

His ideal is stone to the ceiling with a rustic beam mantel. I don't really object to the stone to the ceiling, but that the only mantel that seems to work with this style is the very rustic beam type of mantel. I'd really prefer something a little more refined and substantial.

My ideal is more traditional, white with either stone or brick surround (but not to ceiling). I'd prefer just to paint above mantel or have some additional white paneling to define the space. Husband objects bc most of the styles like this are not used in cathedral ceiling spaces, and isn't sure if it will look right.

Anyone have ideas on how to successfully marry these two or other options I haven't considered yet? Thanks for any thoughts!

My preference:

2001 showcase · More Info

New York Transformation · More Info

Husband's preference:

Mike G Project · More Info

Rustic Refined · More Info

Comments (10)