SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

cathedral ceilings

illinigirl
10 years ago

Hi,
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on cathedral ceilings (in the great room specifically). I'm attaching some photos of a house plan we may base ours off of (we'll make some changes).

Reasons we want cathedral ceiling: We live in sun-starved Michigan and light is a premium. We want to let in as much light as possible (this room will have a southern exposure). Second reason- our special needs son thrives on sunlight....when he can sit in the sun and bask he's very happy (and when he's happy, I'm happy).

There will be NO overlooking spaces. We visited this home 3 times and I don't recall sound being an issue within the room itself....is that necessarily the case, or are the sound issues usually associated with the other spaces that overlook a tall room like this. Also I was quite surprised at how cozy the space felt (to me).

My concerns are a few:
-the fireplace....I don't really care for the fireplace going to the ceiling even though it balances the height of the room nicely. I just don't want that much stone (don't want a hearth sticking out, plus the extra cost). I really wanted a wood surround fireplace. would that look out of place?
-overall scale and balance in the absence of a floor to ceiling fireplace. Not sure how to combat that.
-sound....again, I didn't notice a problem. Did I miss it, or is it fine within the room itself?

We would have a ceiling fan instead of a light fixture in the photo. And we will be putting in LED can lights to minimize bulb changes. When the windows need washing we'll hire a service (typically they can clean any fixtures as well) We perhaps won't have the ceiling quite as high as pictured, but I'm unsure right now.
thoughts?
[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH