SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

What to be aware (or beware) of in house built in 1933?

nhb22
8 years ago

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to a town and neighborhood that he grew-up in. It's just 30 minutes away and near one of our children, and more importantly, our first grandchild! We have been in our current home for almost 9 years. You will remember me as NewHomeBuilder from when I first registered after building our current home.

So, this neighborhood is nothing but older homes. We have not lived in an older home since we lived in the same town/neighborhood over 25 years ago. Our home at that time was 42 years old. We did some major work (including an addition) and some minimal work before moving to a brand new house a few years later. Since then, all but one of our houses has been brand new that we built.

On Saturday, we are going to look at a home built in 1933. We had always admired this home, so called the owners to see if they would be willing to sell. Admittedly, we heard through the grapevine that they might be thinking about it. They said "yes"! They have lived in the home for 37 years and are in their 80's. The yard is immaculate, but still needs some work because of too large shrubbery. More on that at another time. I am assuming that the inside has been well taken care of, but not updated in many years.

After talking to friends that have been in this house, we know there is wallpaper in many rooms. The kitchen is on the small side, but is adjacent to a cozy breakfast room with fireplace. We know that a kitchen redo will be in order and would also knock down walls. Bathrooms would most certainly need to be redone. There is a den addition with some siding that we are not sure we will like, so possibly work to do there. We would also need to add a Master bedroom and bath on the main floor. We are almost 58 and 63 and the days of going up and down stairs is not too appealing.

So my question is for old home lovers and renovators. What should we look for or ask about when touring the home on Saturday? Any regrets renovating an older home?

We are thinking that the walls will be plaster. Replace with sheetrock or patch?

We are anticipating rewiring and plumbing. If not just in the areas to be renovated, the whole house. Much easier to do if walls are taken down.

Comments (29)