SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Pickled English/shelling pea pods?

beesneeds
8 years ago

I finally got peas to grow this year! Green Arrow peas. And we have been enjoying eating them all up, though for some magic reason I'm the only one around when it comes to shelling them, lol.

But now is the time of year where the heat is coming in, and it's time that the peas are starting to die out. And the peas are in the walking space between tomatoes, and now the tomatoes are getting big enough that I'm starting to actually need that walkway. I still have a heap of immature pods on the plants, so I was wondering on if I could pickle them like sugar snap or snow peas can be pickled. I have a pint and a half, maybe a quart worth of pods on the plants, and I would be doing them as a fridge pickle.

So would they be tasty, or too tough? I've eaten a couple of the immature pods off the plant, and they are pretty good, though not quite as tender as a snow pea. Has anyone else done this with their end of season English/shelling pea pods?

I've also read around about folks eating pea leaves and pea shoots- I'm guessing my plants are probably way too mature for that... but I figure if anyone eats the mature plants, that would be great to know too- otherwise the whole heap is going into the compost pile.

Comments (8)