SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

Advice Needed before tomorrow

8 years ago

Hello All -

I successfully rooted some fig cuttings beginning in February of this year in a mixture of 60% perlite and 40% vermiculite using 1000 watt horticultural lights (metal halide and high pressure sodium) and transplanted them a week ago Sunday into a 5-1-1 like mix.

Since transplanting last Sunday they have been in a windowsill that receives sunlight in the afternoon. The plants were not covered since I thought the sunlight might overheat them.

Now a lot of the leaves have drooped or have fell off. All of the plants have a good amount of roots that I observed at the time of transplant last Sunday,

This past Friday I fertilized them with a mixture of 1/2 strength foilage pro 1/2 strength ProtekT and 1 tsp of superthrive.

?:

Is one week enough time to give the roots a chance to rebound from the shock of transplant?

1. To give these the best chance to rebound should I keep them inside on the windowsill where I observed today that they really don't receive that much afternoon sun but get more morning and evening sun due to the high position of sun in the summer,

2. Or would I be able to put them outside in a partially shaded location to give them the best/quickest chance at rebounding

3. Or should I keep them inside under the horticultural lights for a few weeks and then rejudge the situation before deciding to put them outside?

My main worry is that 1 week inside is perhaps not enough time to bring the roots back fully online and if I put them outside they may dry out and die - I am near the Saint Louis area and we are now getting our more typical summer temperatures -- ie high 80's to 90's with higher humidity.

If the advice is to put them out then at least having Sunday off I can more closely monitor them and make an adjustment (i.e. bring them in if needed) as opposed to being at work on Monday and then perhaps coming home to find them dead,

Thanks for any advice today!

Brian

Comments (7)