SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
14belsize

Rigid foam or spray foam for vented crawl space?

Bongo
8 years ago

Our 1938 house was built over a full basement (currently unfinished, but we plan on finishing it soon). About 20 years ago, the previous owners added a room (approximately 15’ by 20’) over vented crawl space. It is accessible from the basement through what appears to be an old basement window that used to open to the outside. The opening is pretty small (about 2'x3') and was previously closed with an access panel. The crawl space has 2 vents, concrete floor (which is dry) and block walls. There is very old fiberglass insulation between the floor joists (the insulation is in pretty bad shape). So the room above it is freezing in the winter, you can’t even stand on the floor without socks – it’s like standing barefoot on concrete outside. The floor is especially cold around the perimeter of the room where the insulation may have been fallen out or damaged. There are 2 Runtal radiators (wall panels) in the room so the room itself gets somewhat warm but the floor is freezing. Another issue is the smell that comes from the crawlspace and you can smell it everywhere – basement, 1st floor, etc.

The crawlspace currently has PEX lines for 2 radiators. There are also 2 central air vents with flexible ducts but we are thinking about removing those because we want to install a ductless mini-split. So the only lines left in crawlspace would be PEX lines.

We are in New York (Long Island) so it gets cold in the winter and humid in the summer.

I have been reading a lot on this issue, and the current trend is to encapsulate the basement. But does it make any sense if we don’t have any HVAC equipment in there but only 2 PEX lines (which I understand don’t freeze when the temperatures drop)? So we decided not to encapsulate but just insulate/seal the floor joists, keep the crawlspace vented and close it off with access panel from the rest of the basement.

From what I understand, it the floor joists could be done with either rigid foam panels (all seams taped) or closed cell foam sprayed 3" thick. Is one better than the other? What are your opinions? Has anyone done either? Can either be DIY? I would prefer to do the rigid panels but not sure if we can get them in the crawlspace in one piece as our opening is pretty small. If we do the foam, is there any smell from the foam?

Thank you!

Comments (4)