SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobhood

Crawl space insulation - Foam or Foam Board?

bobhood
4 years ago

Planning on total encapsulation of my crawl space, including sealing all vents,and rim joists. My crawl space outside walls are between 30" to 48" high, have cinder block piers about every 7 feet, with a single layer of mortared bricks filling in the space between piers. Inside brick surfaces are fairly rough, as they made no attempt to tool off the inside mortar joints.

One contractor specified a 2" foil-faced, termite treated foam board for the inside wall insulation. The other contractor uses a local company to spray closed-cell foam on the walls and rim joists. Both would leave a 4-6" horizontal area clear at the top for termite inspection.

The first contractor strongly recommended against using foam on the rough brick, citing the difficulty in removing it if ever necessary. BTW, his pricing for the job is about 15% higher than #2 contractor, with annual inspection costs after 3 years of $200/year.

#2 contractor cited the ease of totally sealing the rough brick and mortar wall surface with foam. #2 is also my termite inspection firm, and there will be no added cost for annual inspection of crawl space and dehumidifiers.

Anyone see a problem with the spray-foam approach?

Comments (3)