SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_8633990645645082698169

Crawl Space Encapsulation - remove or replace existing R5 foam board?

tom
3 years ago

I recently purchased a 25 year old vacation home in Canaan Valley, WV. We removed soggy floor joist insulation in the crawlspace last month (we're only up there for about a week every month or two). There's no central system in the house, only baseboard electric heating and a whole house fan for the summer (some mid-80's days, winter can have single digit temps for many days at a time). I remotely monitor the home (cameras, temps, humidity, etc). The humidity in the living space stays near 70%. The crawlspace is muggy, 1 rim joist is history (adjacent deck/flashing issue) but not yet replaced. Only minimal visual evidence of mold/mildew otherwise in the crawlspace. The home is on a sloping lot, so the crawlspace goes from 2-3 feet in the back to 7-8 feet in the front - maybe 750 sq ft down there. There's (blue/Dow) R5 insulation panels on the walls in the crawlspace, dirt floor with torn visqueen w/happy salamanders, and open vents... no standing water.

What's the best approach for a crawlspace like this when the home has no central system?

Should I remove/replace or add to existing wall insulation? (With something like Bora Foam)

Should one of the vents be set up as an exhaust fan/vent due to radon or other soil gasses (never been tested).

I have Basement Systems coming out next month to give their opinion as well.

Comments (5)