SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastautumn

Small to medium shrubs that can tolerate wet feet?

8 years ago

Do any of you have suggestions for shrubs that don't mind VERY soggy conditions when it rains? We have a dry creek bed along the swale in our backyard that gets filled with water when we have hard rains. A buried downspout from the gutters on our house drains to the mouth of the creek bed, and there's a small planting island in that same area for a shrub. I'm not sure what to plant there that will tolerate the excessively wet conditions following hard rains, so would love any suggestions for shrubs that can take wet feet. During dry spells, there's a drip line that waters that area.

A few years ago I planted a black lace elderberry there, but it never thrived, getting less vigorous each year until this spring when it never came back :( We have another black lace elderberry in another area of the yard that's doing really well, so I suspect it's the soggy conditions that killed the one in the creek bed. I'd like something that doesn't get huge (the "island" is only 3' wide by 5' long) so don't want to plant an artic willow or anything of that scale. I don't mind some pruning, just don't want anything that's going to create a constant hassle to keep it in bounds. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (4)