SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Can I plant shrubs in a small yard that has tree roots throughout?

Lynn Nevins
2 years ago

Hi everyone. My mom lives in the Northeast of the US (Boston, to be exact) and has a yard that is about 500 square feet or so. I'm trying to help make her yard a bit nicer...

It currently has nothing but grass and some 'weed' type flowers here and there. We've decided to just let the lawn/grass be...not going to spend much time or energy trying to make it look like a 'perfect' green lawn. We're going to let it all go a bit wild and natural...

But in addition to that, I want to plant some shrubs... I'm thinking some blueberry shrubs ...winterberry and viburnum.

While I'm an experienced gardener, most of my experience is with potted/container plants, not planting/growing things in the earth.

I dug around a bit in my mother's yard the other day, and I noticed that most of the yard/soil seems to have what I'd call 'feeder roots'... likely belonging to large-ish trees and/or shrubs that are located along the edges of my mother's yard and adjoining neighbor's yards.

These feeder roots seem quite strong...like it's quite a 'network' of roots. The roots I was encountering, not far below the topsoil, were about 1/4" thick. And even if I COULD cut some of them, the roots seem to be throughout much of the yard.

With such a system of roots, everywhere it seems, do I have any chance of successfully growing any shrubs? Even IF I cut some of the roots and were able to dig a big enough hole for a new shrub, would the pre-existing root system eventually take over again and eventually squash the life out of any newer shrubs?

Or is there any sense to my hiring a professional landscaper, and if so, is there such a thing as a landscaper simply helping me to prepare some spots/holes into which I could plant some new shrubs? And then...how or what could we do over the years, to keep the pre-existing root system at bay...so they are not interfering with our newly-planted shrubs?

The truth is, we are not interested in spending thousands of dollars for 'professional landscaping' or ongoing professional care/maintenance of our yard. We could pay a few hundred perhaps, up front, but after that, we want it to be a no-brainer... perennial shrubs that, with just basic care (watering, fertilizing, pruning etc) can take care of themselves.

Does it sound doable, or unless I'm prepared to pay thousands for landscaping, does it sound like our yard isn't going to be hospitable for newly-planted shrubs? Maybe we should instead focus on flowers, or things that have a more shallow root system and won't need such big holes dug?

Thanks!

Comments (7)