SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betttyloo

HVAC advice for new construction

betttyloo
8 years ago

I am seeking advice for hvac in new construction. Previously I posted about geothermal options, but are no longer considering this (http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2937563/geothermal-in-new-construction)

Some specifics:

1 story, walkout basement, 6500 total finished space.

ICF for the lower level only.

insulation below slab

10' lower level ceilings. main level ceiling heights vary, some deep cathedrals.

large great room and kitchen windows on the main level, south facing. Andersen Eagle aluminum clad.

no west facing windows, few north facing.

detached garage

region 4

We have access to natural gas.

The house is long (~114 ') and narrow.

Most of the time there will be 2 of us, and will do most of the living on the main level. Lower level has extra bedrooms/family room that will be used mostly for when grown children visit.

One HVAC professional did a thorough load calculation and suggested a 2.5 or 3-ton unit for the lower level, and a 4-ton unit for the upper level.

A second HVAC pro did not do a load calculation yet, but is planning to. He is suggesting we would want 2 5-ton units. He justifies this by saying that since we would use variable speed units, they would work in the low speed and act as thought they are 3 ton units, UNTIL we have a greater need (when the house is full of guests), and therefore we won't suffer the complications associated with oversizing the HVAC. He stresses that he wants to be sure that we are comfortable and wants to be sure that we do not undersize our system. He mentioned a concern that with an undersized unit, the air will not circulate appropriately to keep us comfortable. I don't know or understand enough about HVAC to know if this makes any sense or not.

Additionally, professional #2 is strongly suggesting a heat pump with gas back-up instead of a gas furnace. Is there a clear reason for one option over the other?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments (7)