SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145

Undermount sink or not?

amberm145
8 years ago

I have purchased an undermount sink and planned to have it installed in my ensuite bathroom.

Then I stayed in a hotel with an undermount sink and became thoroughly disgusted with it.

I have long hair. I blowdry it in the bathroom. Hair gets in the sink. I wipe it out. Our current sink is cultured marble integrated into the counter. So I wipe out the hair and it comes out smoothly.

At the hotel, they had about a 1/4" to 1/2" negative reveal. I wiped out the hair, and my fingers rubbed on the rough, unfinished, underside of the countertop. It felt nasty. I can just imagine the crud that gets caught under there.

So yesterday, I was talking to a fabricator, and asked them about doing a flush reveal. They told me it would be impossible. But they also insisted that there would never be any reason to run your fingers under the lip. They were 2 follicaly challenged men, so I didn't really think they understood the dilemma.

Not wiping the hair out means it gets washed into the drain, where it would cause clogs, and that would be just as disgusting.

Am I alone with this issue? Or is this fabricator just not very good?

Do I need to get a drop in sink? The one I purchased came from ReStore, so I wouldn't be out too much money. I just liked the look of the undermount.

Comments (16)