SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_rigney

Beginner - Need a complete lawn makeover

Matt Rigney
8 years ago

My first post here. I'm relatively new to getting serious about my lawn. Live in far north Alabama (a few miles from the Tennessee state line). Had a company take care of my first home's yard (have since moved out). Bought my current house one year ago. Half-acre corner lot. Backyard (east-side of house) is tree-free, sun until 4-6ish in the afternoon (summer), earlier in the winter. Front yard (west side) has two large oak trees. Mostly shaded. We also have a large side yard (north side of house) since we're a corner lot. This side section has two large maples and a small dogwood. Total area of the side yard is probably 7500ish sq ft (rough guess).

Front yard looked great when we moved in last year. Not sure what kind of grass it is. Not bermuda for sure. It's a fine bladed grass. Never gets "clumpy" like I've seen fescue do in some places during the summer. Maybe a mix of red fescue and KBG? Not sure. Anyway, that part of the yard is in decent shape. Have a few broadleaf weeds in it, but it's the least of my concerns.

Backyard might look good from a distance when it's freshly cut but it's been taken over by violets. That way when we moved in last summer, but worse this year. I'd guess 80% violets in that part of the yard.

The side yard might be the worst. It's obviously partial to mostly shade with the two maples and dogwood, but still gets some sun filtering through in the summer. It is a combination of exposed roots and weeds of every variety imagineable (won't list them all...but they're probably all there). In addition, LOTS of bare spots. Probably 30-50% dirt and exposed roots for most of that yard (once you get out from around the trees it goes back to mostly violets).

So, I want to get this yard looking nice. I've tackled a lot of landscaping the last year and think the structure of the yard is good. But the grass is horrendous. Thinking of starting with the side yard. How should I proceed?

My plan (again, complete beginner) was to basically try to completely kill everything (except the trees obviously) in the side yard. Bring in some dirt and compost to help solve some of the exposed root issue, and then seed this fall with a KBG/red fescue/perennial rye mix. After that I could tackle the back yard and the violet issue.

Is that an awful plan? What should I do to prep the area? How should I kill the weeds out there (just take round up to it?)? Is bringing in dirt to get rid of some of the exposed roots a bad idea? good idea? Will a KBG/red fescue/rye mix get enough sun with two maple trees and moderate shade?

Thanks for any help! Look forward to learning!

Comments (15)