SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_n_games

Beginner questions!! :)

sun_n_games
13 years ago

Here's my background:

Summer 2010 was my first season gardening in the ground. It's been a very exciting experiment and a lot of hard work! We put in a 15x20 foot plot and divided it with walking paths into 6 smaller plots. Because we had just moved into the new house, our garden went in quite a bit later than I would have liked... Not until mid-June or so. Because of this, we also didn't really have the opportunity to work with the soil much before planting.

We used a sod cutter to remove the grass from the lawn, and revealed very compacted and pretty polluted (children's toys, candy wrappers, metal bars, various plastic items... you name it) soil, complete with gross looking grubs galore. After the sod was removed, we poured on some compost and tilled it in with a roto-tiller. After this, it was onto planting. I purchased tomato, broccoli and pepper plants from the farmer's market and transplanted them, and grew (or attempted to grow) collard greens, romaine, white onion, squash, zucchini, cucumber, mesclun, melon, soybeans, and snow peas. (I know it was a big undertaking for my first attempt... I'm all or nothing!)

The squash, zucchini, melon, and cucumber were attacked by an evil bout of powdery mildew. Peas and soybeans didn't stand a chance against the rabbits! Collards did pretty well, romaine seemed stunted and then toward the end of the summer grew tall, long and lanky... Not really appetizing. Broccoli grew long and lanky too, no florets, just long stems. Orange bell pepper only produced 3 peppers all season. Cayenne, banana pepper, and jalapeno did well, save for some yellowing leaves.

Since we've had some unseasonably warm weather, we've been out working in the garden periodically over the past couple of weeks. I decided to try adding some organic matter to the soil this fall, and see what effect this has come spring. We loosened up all the soil (we have a high clay content so it compacts quickly) and added compost and leaf mold. Before I mixed it in, I noticed I still had a bag of an iron supplement I'd purchased over the summer (for the yellowing leaves)... I decided to add it to the soil, too. I sprinkled it all over and used a pitchfork to turn the compost, leaf mold, and iron into the loosened dirt.

In retrospect, I'm not sure this iron was such a great idea! I guess I was caught up in the moment with my garden adrenaline pumping, and I didn't really think before I added it. Does anyone know if excess iron in the soil can be a problem for veggie gardening??? If so, anything I can do to negate the fact that I've added it? Removing it is obviously not an option =/

A couple of specific questions:

We have a lot of spotty sunlight throughout the day in our back yard, which we can't do anything about because it is caused by our neighbors' gigantic trees. Any advice on vegetable gardening in these light conditions?

Would it be beneficial to add earthworms to our garden soil? We have some, but not as many as some forums/advice articles are saying indicates "healthy" soil. I know we have a lot of clay in our soil... Would adding worms help loosen this up? Any other ideas on how to amend clay soil that doesn't drain well? I thought about adding sand, but then I read it would make cement!!

Thanks for reading... If you have any advice or tips after learning about my experience so far, please feel free to share!! I'm really looking forward to getting our garden in the ground earlier next year and taking advantage of all the work we've done to the soil. :)

Namaste!

Comments (5)