SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1368810

questions from a rank beginner

User
9 years ago

Hi all. Can you put up with a few stupid questions from a rank beginner? We have just finished a pretty big remodel on our house that entailed ripping up pretty much all of the landscaping on the sides and front of our house and we're finally at the point where we want to do some planting. We have never had much in the way of outside space before so this is all pretty new to us. I'm starting small, with a sunny little space where I'd like to plant some flowers. I have already ordered some Ranunculus bulbs which will be coming my way in mid-September. I have read a lot about Ranunculus and how to care for them, but I have some related questions...

1) Given that this little area is just a completely blank slate at this point, it seems like it might be nice to have something BESIDES just the Ranunculus growing there. Right? I have read about companion planting and some suggested companion plants for Ranunculus that I have liked include Chinese Forget Me Nots and Icelandic poppies (love). So I might try some of those in my little bed. But what about some good old-fashioned grass as a backdrop for the flowers? It seems like it would be nice to have them coming up out of something besides just dirt?

2) Given that the Ranunculus will be blooming in the spring, what do I do after that? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I am hoping that with our mild climate they will come back next year. Is it possible to grow other flowers in the same area that would bloom in summer or fall, like Zinnias or Cosmos, while leaving the Ranunculus bulbs there the whole time? Or do people really rip everything out and start fresh every season?

I'm sorry, these sound like kind of stupid questions as I type them out, but I'm just not really finding the information I'm looking for. Can someone with a little more experience give me a clue?

Comments (10)