SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravel30

Simple questions from a beginner

ravel30
14 years ago

Dear Canadian fellow gardeners,

At the beginning of the summer I started a post on gardening for butterflies and pollinators. The comments that I got here were all great and I always thought that I would come back here if I would ever have more questions.

My questions today is very simple I am sure. First one: I have in my garden a bunch of Wild Bergamot (Bee balm) that were planted by the previous owner. They all bloom well last year but not as much this year. I read somewhere that it is a normal process and that a good thing to do to make them bloom fully again is to 'divide' them.

So my question is about dividing. Does anyone here have a good link on the internet that explain how to divide plants properly ? Or even a video ? Or a nice simple explanation.

Also, I am in zone 4. Is it to late to divide plants ?

Second question: I would really like to collect seeds in the wild. I am especially interested in seeds from Canada Goldenrod,Common Milkweed, Giant Hyssop and New England Aster. Any tips on how to collect these seeds ? Any tips to collect seeds in general ?

Third Question: Would any of you have suggestions of native plants (to zone 3-4) that grow well in shady to semi-shady areas and that have benefit for nature ? (butterflies,bees, bumblebees, polinators, birds). All suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks in advance and thank you all for enriching my knowledge.

All the best,

Ravel30

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz